Friday, June 18, 2010

Make some yummy fresh salsa!

When I first had my mother in laws salsa years ago I knew I needed the recipe.  I had not been fond of salsa to that point as I'd really only had the jarred stuff (yuck!).  It took me a while to get the recipe as she's one of those I-don't-use-recipes-just-throw-stuff-together cooks.  I finally got the basic recipe written down.

My fav part of this recipe is the cilantro.  If you've never bought it before, it's near the parsley bunches and looks similar, but is not the same at all.  It has a distinct smell.  yum.  Be sure to pick up the right stuff.

Here's the basic salsa recipe:

1 bunch cilantro (I usually don't use quite the whole bunch)
1 med onion
2-3 cloves garlic
3-4 jalepenos (plus the juice if you like your salsa spicy)
1 can whole tomatoes

Wash and pick the leaves off the cilantro and put them in your food processor.  I like to put them in first so the other ingredients weigh them down to the bottom.  Add everything else in.  Blend.

Now pour in a resealable container and add 1 14oz can diced tomatoes and small can diced green chili peppers.  This last time I made the salsa I used a rotel diced tomatoes with chili peppers and lime.  You can tweak this recipe to your liking.  I've backed off all the onion and garlic because we don't like tasting garlic and onion in our mouths all day.  I used about 1/4 red onion and sometimes no garlic.  It's still just as great.

I love to pair this salsa with yummy organic blue tortilla chips.  Three out of four of my kids love salsa.  All will eat it somewhat, but the 2 littlest will eat it every day if I have some!  :)  Makes a great afternoon snack!

1 comment:

The Oxford Family said...

toss 3 or 4 baby carrots in there! sounds weird but delish I promise!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails