Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Personalized baby blocks

I am working on a little set of blocks for Christmas. I'm making Maressa some for my prototype and will put them in her stocking. My main goal was to make some for gifts. Being that babies love baby faces, what's better than putting them on some blocks for them to play with?


So to make these, I first bought the blocks at Hobby Lobby. Then I sanded the edges a bit to make them softer. I purchased coordinating scrapbooking stickers and papers. The papers were stripes, polka dots, little pastel zoo animals and other random prints. I used a circle hole punch to punch out different animals for one side of the blocks. Put her name on another side, and square random prints on the others and some acrylic paints on other sides. With the papers I used mod podge (which is non toxic) to paste them and using that to seal all the sides as well. For the faces I printed them on matte photo paper on my computer. These can be played with or you could make them for decoration for baby's room.


Other random craftiness going on....

Making 200 marble magnets for the seniors at my church. We have a Harvest banquet every year where we honor them and for the last 2 years I've been pulled into making the favors. I used my 1" circle punch and some pretty scrapbooking papers for this project...50 down, 150 more to go!


And a peek at some of my latest crafting finds/purchases!
The above orange fabric I won! I've never won anything before, but I won this on Sew Mama Sew's free fabric fridays. It took me forever to pick out what I wanted. Not sure what I'm going to use it for, I may save it for the girl's pumpkin patch outfits next year.
Other fabric goodies--I found some Park Slope on eBay to make the girl's an outfit and I got a half yard pack of Pop Garden at jcaroline to use for gifty stuff. The tins I found here to put the magnet marbles in (if you only need a few tins, then go to Oriental Trading, but if you need a lot those folks prices are better, but they are a little smaller and you can only fit 4 magnets in) and the magnet paint and wood people for a few upcoming projects. Lots and lots of stuff to do!
And more stuff.....
I was given some vintage children's patterns and I really LOVE the one on top and going to even give zippers a try to make something for Kalla (the top and pants set)

And who knew? I found these gems in the clearance section of Hobby Lobby. Two pieces of pink minky for over half price, fine wale cord, some cute cotton prints too. What a deal what a deal!
So now I've got to get sewing!!! :)

8 comments:

. said...

Yummy crafty stash!

I love the baby blocks, what a great idea.

xMX

carrie said...

Those blocks are such a clever idea. Way to go. And I am coveting your fabric... sigh!

~T~ said...

Wow, very pretty - looks like you've got a lot of things to play with, enjoy!

annamae said...

ooo such fun finds, projects and things! love looking!

Heather said...

I want to go shopping with you and bring my kiddos to the sunny park. The rain has started in the Northwest. I can't wait to see what you make with your won fabrics!

Beth said...

I love the blocks - and free fabric friday. I won once too! It was so hard to pick just one fabric.

Amber said...

I just love the blocks!! What a neat idea for a little one!!

BTW, is Hobby Lobby great!!??!!

Deanna said...

I should buy stock at Hobby Lobby! ;)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails