Monday, December 13, 2010

Homemade Peppermint Mocha...new addiction on the rise

To make your own at home:
Brew strong coffee--I use a bold Starbucks blend and brew 4 tbsp to 3C water--this will make a couple of mochas.

While brewing, pour 1/3-1/2C milk (depending on size of mug) into your mug.  Now add a tsp of  choc syrup or Quick or cocoa powder.  I have tried the syrup and cocoa powder and I like how there isn't any graininess with the Hershey syrup version.  Now warm the milk with chocolate in microwave for 1 minute.  Fill mug the rest of the way with fresh brewed coffee.  Now add 2-3 tsp of peppermint syrup (recipe to follow) and stir.   For extra special mocha, add whipped cream (I use fat free) and crushed candy cane on top.

Peppermint syrup:
Put 2 C granulated sugar in a medium sauce pan and 1 C water.  Heat and stir til sugar is dissolved.  Pour into a reusable container and let cool.  Add 1 1/2 tsp of pure peppermint extract.

If you don't want that much peppermint flavored syrup like me, I divided my heated simple syrup into 2 containers and made one peppermint and one vanilla.  If you do this, reduce peppermint extract to just under one teaspoon (this extract is strong stuff!).  And add 1 1/2 tsp to the other half for vanilla syrup to make yummy vanilla lattes with.  :)

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Katy said...

seriously..... McCafe Caramel Mocha is my new addiction but now that I found this recipe. You just saved me a million dollars!!!

Thank you!

http://lilalice.weebly.com/

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails