Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Beginner Quilter

I have been teaching or more like leading a monthly sewing project at my church.  This time I asked a proficient quilter to teach us a quilting project.  She choose for use to make a Disappearing 9 Patch Quilt.  I found this tutorial here for those who don't know what they are.  While I've done patchwork before, I've never learned the cool quilting tricks you can use and how to properly cut and sew them.

So this is a cool challenge for me.  I am a impatient short-cut-taking kind of sewer which does not make the best quilter.  So I'm working on being patient and taking my time.  So far I've done 8 of these 9 patches.  I'm making 16 to make a throw quilt.  This will be a gift to Kalla for her birthday.  This picture is after my sewing the patch strips together and haven't been ironed.  In class we only got our first long strips sewn and then cut into strips of patches and I sewed those strips together at home though that makes me ahead, since we were going to pick up where left off when we have another class.  And apparently there are certain ways you lay the seams when you iron, so I'm going to wait for that.  ;)

Anyway, I've got a dozen projects half done, waiting to be started, on the brain, etc.  Will share as I get to them!!   :)

5 comments:

denise said...

Girl, after you know the basics you'll be turning those things out one after another. Speed is sometimes a good thing.

Melissa G. said...

Love the fabric choices! Such pretty colors!

Deanna said...

Thanks! :)

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

Pretty fabric - what fun to have a monthly sewing/craft group.

Sarah {The Student Knitter} said...

oh my goodness, thank you for a link to this great tutorial! I'm a brand new knitter (like, the sewing machine hasn't come out of the box yet!) and I can't wait to try this out! This is going to be a perfect first quilt for me!
I'm totally following your blog now! hehe
-Sarah

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails