Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Recipe review~Low fat lemon cupcakes

It wasn't great timing that I decided to start a diet just 2 weeks before my birthday.  I hold onto certain traditions and one of them being cake on my birthday!!  In an effort to try to be good, I googled low fat cupcake recipes.  What I really wanted were these Martha-don't-hold-back-the-fat-Stewart lemon cupcakes.  But when I found this site with low fat cupcake recipes and I thought I'd try this lemon one instead.  I followed the recipe except for substituting fat free plain yogurt for the sour cream.  Then I made up a simple icing glaze with squeezed lemon juice, a bit of water and powdered sugar and drizzled over the top.  I came up with 3-3.5 points for these cupcakes compared to the seven I calculated for the MS ones.

Now for the taste test.  :)  In my opinion I thought these were pretty good.  I liked the flavor.  The texture was definitely more spongy than my fav fluffy cake mixes I use.  When I ate these fresh I really liked them.  The next day I found them so so.  The glaze absorbed into the cake and it was all kinda dense and moist.  I would say these are good for an everyday cake craving, but definitely not so much for special occasion splurge.  So on my actual bday (I made them the day before) I bit the bullet and thoroughly enjoyed a real cupcake with a smudge of homemade choc frosting on top (the ones I made for Maressa's party).  :)

1 comment:

Misty @Creative Itch said...

Yummm...lemon cupcakes sound so good right now!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails