Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Way out of my comfort zone

I'm not sure how it happened. I can't recall when exactly I lost my mind and agreed to make this bridesmaid dress. I wanted to help. I learned a great big lesson. This dress is McCall's 5804.

Ok, I sew a lot. And til now thought myself pretty good. Boy was this humbling and I have a great respect for you guys who truly know how to do this and do it well. I make TODDLER clothes and I need to not forget that next time. Granted I have a whole pile of me clothes I want to make (Weekend Sewing) but nothing like this fitted zipped up the back dress. With lots of additions to the original pattern. Piping, trim along the bottom hem and then full lining and a big fat zipper up the back (I've never done a zipper before, or piping for that matter!)

LOTS of blood, sweat and TEARS. Can't tell you how many hours went into this dress. I ripped up most every section at least once and did the zipper about 8 times. I don't even want to touch my machine right now...or the seam ripper!

Learned lots of stuff. But NEVER again. I'll just stick to cute little ruffle pants and twirly skirts thank you very much.

7 comments:

Lou said...

Oh no Deanna, I hate it when a project goes like that. I made all my own bridesmaid dresses and it was a nightmare!

However, the dress looks beautiful; through all the frustration I hope you're proud of it! ;)

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

But think of how much easier the next one will be! It's gorgeous and I think you did a wonderful job!

Crystal Corona said...

It looks sooo good!!!

Deanna said...

Thanks guys! It is far from perfect but I'll spare you the details. ;)

glenna said...

It finished up quite nicely! I love baby sized piping on toddler clothes and now you'll know how. Baby piping is easier to manage.

Anonymous said...

Well, it sure looks beautiful! I hear you, though. Nothing like a project like that to really humble you!

Ruth said...

I googled the pattern number and found your beautiful dress. The dress is gorgeous! Well worth the blood, sweat, and tears, don't you think?

I just finished sewing this pattern for my daughter, and I can understand your frustration.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails